I was reading Tim Ferriss‘ interview with Dan Carlin in the book “Tools of Titans” (epic book by an epic human, guys – get it), and he said something that stuck with me all morning:
“Don’t be afraid to do something you’re not qualified to do.”
It made me think (and that’s a dangerous thing lol). If I spent my entire life only doing things I was credentialed to do, I would’ve:
- Remained unmarried because I am not a relationship expert – and have many failed dates and a failed first marriage to validate that.
- Continued pushing a broom for pay, because I am a college drop out and would’ve been shut out by “bachelors degree required” job listings.
- Had no kids because I am a child, and not a child psychologist.
- Put my aspirations to build and run companies into the trash because I don’t have an MBA or degree to give partners, vendors, or customers any sense of trust.
The list goes on, for sure. But isn’t living a life you’re qualified to have a scary, unexciting, unfulfilling, and undesirable thing?
Good thing I’m annoyingly curious and stubborn in this aspect, lol, because I’ve done some pretty ignant things before, like:
- Starting a restaurant with friends who had absolutely no experience; and dropping out of college – my sure shot insurance policy – to scratch that itch. We generated a profit within months and sold it three years later at a profit.
- Convincing Fransmart – the world’s largest and most reputable franchise development company – to take a chance on employing and training someone who had no degree nor any franchising experience. I built a successful 10-year career out of it and continue to work there.
- Giving love another shot and marrying the love of my life.
- Becoming a dad to two adopted kids and completing the family I never thought I’d have.
The most incredible, life-changing things that have ever happened to me were unplanned and I totally wasn’t prepared or knowledgeable enough at the time; and I’d bet that you are the same.
What are you not fit to do…but want to? Remember that amateurs built the Ark and that professionals built the Titanic…and do it.