“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” – Mark Twain, an incredible writer and thinker whom I would’ve been star-struck to meet if he were still alive.
In an effort to peel myself out of the reactive, unoriginal, brainless thinking that being busy and surrounded by tradition and comfort encourage…I’ve been trying to take inventory of my thoughts and behaviors and asking myself these questions:
- Is this true?
- Is this reflective of who I am and what I love?
- Am I just thinking/doing this purely out of comfort, avoiding conflict, convenience, and safety?
- Am I just thinking/doing this purely out of tradition and “the way it’s always been?”
- Is there a better/different way?
- What would happen if I did/thought the opposite?
- How would a successful person I look to think about or do this?
Here are some of my beliefs/actions that you and/or most will argue against:
- The current education system has – for better or worse – programmed students to become good workers – not world-changers. They are taught what to do, not how to think. Home schooling is one solution that – when done effectively – can help students find themselves and have a real-world experience that’s relevant.
- You should put as little down on a house as possible. You can use the money you withheld to invest at better returns, will have more tax-deductible interest to write off, and/or will have a bigger cushion in case anything happens (and they will happen!). Your equity will be destroyed if the economy downswings; you will enjoy the same increase in value if the economy upswings; and when you do need equity i.e. lost a job, have debt, etc. it will be difficult-to-impossible to access.
- It’s safer to invest in a startup franchise than a mature franchise. I may be drinking the Kool-Aid here; and of course, this requires proper thinking/research/struturing, but I’m happy to explain my perspective and share case studies in a future post.
- Being on-trend is dangerous. You risk being buried with everyeone else swimming in the same waters and you won’t be changing the world being like everyone else.
I have a lot more ideas to share, but that’s for a future post. Not because I am an awesome storyteller and want to create a cliff-hanger; but because I forgot to jot them down and my memory sucks lol!
Until then, would like to know if anybody in the blogosphere would like to share beliefs/actions that they see a lot of disagreement/resistence on. Please share!